Wednesday, December 1, 2010

You Know When the Kitchen Is Gone

For my first trick, I've stolen the name of my first blog post! Thanks Cheryl!  She and I both recently read You Know When the Men Are Gone by Siobhan Fallon, and my kitchen was partially destroyed by a ruptured pipe in during the intense but short-lived Snowpocalypse 2011.  That happened last Wednesday (the night before Thanksgiving), and today the contractors came and took out about 85% of our kitchen cabinets and cutting a 2-foot high section out of one of the walls in our living room.  Our landlords have said that it will be roughly 4-6 weeks before we have new cabinets, "but you can help pick them out!" 

You Know When the Men Are Gone is a collection of linked short stories about living at Fort Hood, Texas, primarily focused on the wives of soldiers living on post while their husbands are deployed in Iraq.  I read the whole book in a day and thoroughly enjoyed it.  In a way it reminds me of Sherman Alexie's book The Lone Ranger & Tonto Fistfight in Heaven, providing a window into a community and experience through linked short stories, where some characters turn up in more than one story.  A few are set in Iraq, but they deal primarily with the soldiers' relationships with those they've left behind and why the transition back to civilian life can be so difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment