Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Wacky Cake

This recipe has been around much longer than I have.  My mother got it from Jane Edwards, our neighbor across the street in Wilton, Maine.  Jane was born in 1900, and she was also my first babysitter.  So who knows who old this recipe might be?  All I know is that it's always been one of my favorites.  It requires only a measuring cups & spoons, something to stir with, and an 8" square baking pan.  It's quick, tasty, cheap, simple, and vegan! 

Wacky Cake

1½ cups flour
1 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
5 Tablespoons melted shortening or flavorless vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup water
 powdered sugar for dusting

1.Preheat oven to 350

2.Mix dry ingredients in an 8” square baking pan. 

3.Add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth.

4.Bake 40 minutes.

5.Cool in pan on wire rack.

6.Dust with sifted powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment